16/02/2013

Cheese Muffins with Bacon and Spring Onions


Whilst searching for some inspiration on what to bake for today, I came across a recipe for cheese muffins with bacon and chives. I looked in the fridge and cupboards and I had most of the things to make these muffins. I did make a few changes; mine will be gluten free, made with spring onions as these are what I had in my fridge and I have used leftover cooking bacon instead of sliced bacon.

I think its good to go through your kitchen and look at what leftovers you have, this recipe could quite easily be adapted with the addition of peppers, maybe some diced chorizo instead of bacon or tomatoes. I think i'm going to enjoy playing with this recipe.



I think these are a great breakfast / brunch recipe that you can have on the go. For those of us who work full time or those of you who are busy with children or anyone just on the go, you don't always have time to sit down and have breakfast. It's sometimes good to have something you can just pick and eat on the go, on those times when you're in a rush or just don't want to eat breakfast first thing in the morning.

Serves: 6

Ingredients:
60 - 80 grams of bacon bits (I used cooking bacon).
1 large tablespoon of butter
1 spring onion - chopped very finely
1 cup of Doves Farm Plain Gluten Free Flour (this is approximately 140 grams)
1 teaspoon of baking powder (Dr Oetker is gluten free)
1 pinch of salt
1 teaspoon of sugar
1 medium egg
1/2 cup of milk (approximately 120 mls - i used semi skimmed milk)
1/2 cup of grated cheddar cheese (this is approximately 40 g - used mature cheddar)

Method:

  1. Preheat your oven to 180 C
  2. Heat up a frying pan on a medium heat and fry the bacon in a small amount of oil. This takes about 10 - 15 minutes. Chop / crumble the bacon into small pieces and set aside.
  3. In the meantime add the egg into a bowl with the milk and whisk
  4. Melt the butter in a small pan. As soon as the butter is melted, take off the heat and add the spring onions.
  5. In a separate bowl add the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar (you can sift the flour, but i personally didn't do this). Stir the ingredients to combine.
  6. Add the butter and spring onion mixture to the eggs and milk and stir to combine.
  7. Add the flour mixture, bacon bits and cheese to the liquid mixture (eggs, milk, butter and spring onion) and stir until everything is combined. Please note that the mixture shouldn't be too loose but it shouldn't be stiff either.
  8. Oil a muffin tin - I used a silicone muffin tray, as I find that the muffins are less likely to stick to this and are easier to get out. I used a kitchen towel and normal vegetable oil, to make sure that I don't put too much in.
  9. Put the muffin mixture muffin tray / tin and put into the oven.
  10. Bake for about 20 - 25 minutes until the muffins are starting to colour on the top and if you put a knife in it should come out clean.
  11. Leave to cool for 2 minutes and then put onto a wire rack to cool.




The original recipe where this was adapted from can be found on the following site: http://www.food.com/recipe/savory-cheese-muffins-with-bacon-and-chives-62995?mode=us&scaleto=6.0&st=true

The muffins turned out really well, they weren't dry and seemed to rise pretty well. I was really pleased with the outcome. My non gluten free tester (my boyfriend) also liked them.

What are your favourite ways to use up leftovers?



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this recipe. I have been thinking about doing my little one some savoury muffins and think I am going to give these a try. They look yum.

    http://www.youtube.com/mscherylb183

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheryl, thank you for your comment. I hope you really enjoy them. You'll have to let me know how they turn out for you.

      GG

      Delete