07/03/2013

Chocolate Millet Porridge

Always one for trying something new, when I went shopping at the weekend I decided to buy some millet flakes. I've previously eaten this as part of some of the gluten free cereals which are currently on the market, but I've never tried tried them on their own.


The texture of the porridge is slightly different to normal porridge, so please don't expect this to be a like for like substitute. However, saying that I do think that the porridge took the chocolate flavour on really well. It was also really easy to make and the price wasn't much different to that of normal gluten free oats (At Asda on 07/03/13 on the website the price was £2.60). I bought my millet flakes from Holland and Barretts for a price of  £2.69 (verified on the website 07/03/13). I know there are some people out there that have trouble with oats, so this is a really good alternative that I would recommend giving a try.

I think I will try making some with apple and cinnamon next time, for a different flavour and texture. It can't hurt adding some more fruit to my diet as well!

Ingredients:

30 g millet flakes (I believe this is just over a 1/4 of a cup)
1 cup of milk or water (it should be approx 4 times the volume of liquid to the millet flakes)
1 heaped teaspoon of cocoa powder
2 teaspoons of sugar (you could substitute some maple syrup or honey instead of this)

Method:


  1. Add the flakes and the water / milk to a bowl
  2. Put the bowl in the microwave for 3 minutes, stirring half way through.
  3. Add the cocoa and sugar to the bowl and stir until combined.
As I quite liked millet, I think I will start to experiment with some other recipes. Feel free to share your best ways of using millet if this is something you already use.


No comments:

Post a Comment