09/03/2013

Cheese, Onion and Honey Roast Gammon Quiche

The day seems to have just slipped away today and my boyfriend wanted to make an oxtail soup for tonight's dinner, as we've eaten a lot this week! It would not be ready until late this evening, so in the end we decided to have some of the quiche I was making this afternoon instead.

This recipe is not a new recipe and is just a variation of my cheese, onion and bacon quiche here. I had approximately 400 g of leftover gammon from my honey roast recipe that you can find here. This was  enough to make 2, one of which will be frozen and brought out next weekend when I have a get together for my birthday! Always good to get a bit of the preparation done in advance.


I also put some red Leicester cheese into this recipe, as we thought the mix of the 2 different cheeses together in this would be good. We didn't want to put too much in though, so only subbed 1/3 of the cheddar from the original quiche.

There is no reason why you can't put sliced tomatoes on the top and in fact I think this actually makes it look a bit prettier. I also like the taste of tomatoes, but again I didn't have any tomatoes so I left these out.

Pastry
175 g plain Doves Farm Gluten Free flour
75 g of butter, plus extra for greasing
A pinch of salt
1 egg, beaten

For the filling:
170 g of cheddar, grated (please select your cheese dependent upon your taste, I used mature)
Approximately 80 g Red Leicester Cheese, grated (you can put slightly more in if you would like)
200 g leftover gammon -chopped
5 eggs , beaten
300 ml of milk
4 slices of tomato (this is optional, I didn't use these as I din't have them available)
A pinch of salt
Freshly ground black pepper
2 sprigs of fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
1/2 onion (optional)

Method:
  1. Start by making the pastry; sift the flour with the salt into a large bowl. If you are using a food processor, please put in the food processor with the butter and blitz in short bursts until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs (please do not over mix). If doing this by hand, rub the butter into the bowl with the flour until you get a mixture resembling breadcrumbs.
  2. Tip the mixture back into the bowl if using a food processor and put in the egg. Bring the pastry together into a ball and if it is still not coming together properly then use a little water, it should be a firm dough. Rest this in the fridge for 30 minutes.
  3. Butter a flan dish, which should be 22cm / 8 1/2 inch in size, then roll the pastry out and place into the flan dish. I rolled mine out on cling film, then put the flan dish upside down on the pastry then tipped the pastry on top. Please place this back in the fridge to chill.
  4. Preheat the oven to 190c / 375F / Gas 5.
  5. Line the bottom of the pastry with baking parchment, then put in baking beans or if you don't have baking beans you can use rice. Bake it for 20 minutes, remove from the oven and take out the baking beans / rice. Bake for another 5 minutes before removing. Whilst the quiche is in the oven, please be frying off your bacon on a medium heat for 10 - 15 minutes. Chop / crumble the bacon into small pieces.
  6. Reduce the oven to 160 c/ 325 F / Gas 3.
  7. Sprinkle most of the cheese into the bottom, then place in the chopped bacon. Put the onion in if using.
  8. Beat the eggs and milk and pour over the cheese and bacon, sprinkle the top with thyme. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on the top.
  9. Trim the edges of your pastry and bake for 30 - 40 minutes until the egg mixture has set.
  10. If you are going to freeze your quiche, please wait for the quiche to completely cool, cut into portions and pop into a freezer box and put into the freezer.


We really enjoyed this quiche and thought the addition of the Red Leicester added some extra flavour. The pastry was thin and buttery and the slight hint of the honey and mustard coming through from the gammon.

I'll be making a caramelised onion tart next week, something which I've never made before. So I assume its not much different from this, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'll also be blogging soon about the Oxtail soup, which is currently sending gorgeous smells from the kitchen as I type this.

I'm going to be testing out some healthier recipes next week, so I hope to be able to share these with you soon.

I hope you all enjoy your weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment